mit-scheme-users

Re: [MIT-Scheme-users] let-fluid

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-users] let-fluid
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 12:31:32 -0700

> From: Taylor R Campbell <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 12:57:29 +0000
>
> [...]
> This is another fluid compatibility issue -- in Git, FLUID-LET as
> temporary shallow-binding of global variables has largely been
> replaced by local deep-binding of objects called fluids, but nobody
> has made an effort to maintain any semblance of compatibility (yet).

Would a "semblance" of compatibility resemble adding new bindings
named e.g. $flonum-unparser-cutoff (a Scheme48 naming convention) and
removing the old ones (e.g. flonum-unparser-cutoff)?

We would at least get better errors -- about the FLUID-LET and not
about internal procedures stumbling over a fluid object.

More compatibility than that will be elusive.

When I proposed this incompatibility, I asked for alternatives.  All I
remember was encouragement to "bite the bullet".  Are we having second
thoughts now?