Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Python as a build dependency in MXE

From: Rick van Rein
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Python as a build dependency in MXE
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 11:47:56 +0200

Thanks Tony!

>> 2. Can I expect Python to run on the build env, or should I build (and
>> perhaps even install) it?
>
> Python is already required as a build dependency

Sorry for overlooking that / thanks for letting me know.
>> 3. Is there a way to download python-parsing as a secondary package to
>> the primary source, and use it locally?
>
> You could create a download-only package[2], add it as a dependency, and
> manipulate PYTHONPATH variable.

Good suggestion, and thanks for the example.  I have now made one with
a $(PKG)_BUILD that installs into $(PREFIX)/$(BUILD) -- as often as there
are target platforms, but alas, that's not harmful.

>  However, it may be easier to add it to
> the requirements and install with pip. I use Anaconda to manage python
> these days and have mostly forgotten about such things.

I managed to do it with setup.py, which requires the minimum number of
dependencies.  It's good to know that MXE isn't against additional
requirements though.
>> Oh... I almost forgot... we're really happy with the robust building
>> framework of MXE!  We use it to port our TLS Pool to Windows,
>> http://tlspool.arpa2.net
>> https://github.com/arpa2/tlspool
>
> Good to hear! Could you do a PR adding it to the list of projects using
> MXE[3]?

Yes, gladly.  I've added it to the repository from which we'll be sending
you the PR.  As we're rounding off a project which ports to Windows, we've
got a couple of additions on the way, and will aim to propose them as
separate PR as much as possible, so you're not facing a large clump of
updates at once.

Cheers,
 -Rick