Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] stale files after update

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] stale files after update
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 13:12:22 +0100

Dear Werner,

Werner LEMBERG schrieb:
> > Yes the current recommended method for doing such things is `make
> > clean`.  [...]
>
> OK.  Please document that after some `make update` calls the necessary
> space on the hard disk in mxe's `usr` tree can increase enormously
> since old stuff doesn't get removed.

You are right.  This warning should be in the docs.  Unfortunately,
I don't have to time for that.

Would you voluteer in providing a patch to our "index.html" that
adds such notices in all appropriate places? (i.e. on "make update",
"git pull && make", and other places where needed)

> > but the simplicity of GNU Make is what keeps me as well as many
> > users using MXE in the first place.
>
> I fully agree, and this should be retained.

We discussed this years ago.  At that time, we didn't find a good
solution that doesn't put additional burden on the receipes, and
doesn't reduce testability.  Running "make clean" from time to time
was considered a minor issue.  On the other hand, at that time we had
fewer packages and, well, it was years ago.  Maybe we could borrow
some ideas from modern package managers like NPM, later Pacman
versions, or whatever.  Still, I don't see any elegant solution that
is applicable to us.  But this decision is not set in stone.  Maybe
we just missed some good ideas in the last discussion.

Regards,

Volker Grabsch