Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Status of build with shared libraries

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Status of build with shared libraries
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 14:05:25 +1100

On 22 Oct 2013, at 11:28 pm, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation. So let's stick to
> the "i686-pc-mingw32.static" style.

Should we let “i686-pc-mingw32” be an alias for “i686-pc-mingw32.static” so
that minimal changes are required to existing downstream build scripts? This
way, there’s always a default build and users can choose different variants as
required.

> […]
> So all in all, I agree that $(MXE_CONFIGURE_OPTS) makes
> a lot of sense and has more advantages to the quality
> than disadvantages.
>
> Also, I think it is important to consider _how_ an
> abstraction develops. This one occurred after lots of
> redundant ./configure options and somehow had to stay
> "in sync" (in the sense described above). So we had
> real-world working code, found a pattern, and abstracted
> it. This is a good thing.

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of _how_ abstractions develop - it explains many
issues I have with IT projects.

Cheers,