[Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt dependencies issues in master branch

From: Peter Rockett
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt dependencies issues in master branch
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 20:01:37 +0100

Further to my previous post, I have now successfully installed qt5. Thanks. But I have noticed that the following packages have qt(4) as an explicit dependency:

cgal
opencsg
opencv
openscenegraph
poppler
qjson
qwt
qwtplot3d
vtk

Aside from the wholly redundant download and build of qt4 (due to the dependency), if I understand correctly these packages will statically link the qt4 libraries. If I develop an app using qt5 and try to link qwt, this will (try to?) link two versions of the same qt library in the resulting executable. This would seem a recipe for trouble/disaster/symbol collisions!

Any suggestions/comments on this? (I discovered this potential conflict by accident because I installed qwt thinking I would play with this really useful-looking package at some time, and I was bemused to see it building the qt4 package when I had already installed qt5. I don't want to use qwt now but, in the longer term, this appears to be an issue?) Is trying to maintain both qt4 and qt5 too complicated?

BTW: Minor point. Installing qt5 does not create the triplet-decorated symbolic link to qmake, i686-pc-mingw32-qmake in .../usr/bin/, whereas installing qt4 does create this (really useful) link. Not a big deal but since somebody has been thoughtful enough to put it in the qt4 install...

Peter