Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Updating versions (qt versions)

From: Mark Brand
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Updating versions (qt versions)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 00:18:24 +0100

> Thanks for the suggestion - the development version does seem a little
> more up to date but gsl is still at 1.14 despite gsl 1.1.5 being
> released in May 2011. So quite a time lag between updates?

Ulrich has just updated gsl, so thanks to him for that.

> Of greater
> immediate interest, in the development version there is Qt 4.8.4, or all
> the Qt components can be installed separately as 5.0.2. So the inference
> is if I install the full Qt package I get 4.8.4 but if I install Qt by
> components I get 5.02.  Something wrong here surely?

Nothing is wrong. Qt 4 source code is one monolithic git repo and distributed
as single tarball. Modularization was introduced in Qt 5. In MXE, the "qt"
package is Qt 4 simply because it was there first. When the Qt 5 was added to
MXE, the separate modules meant that there was no name clash with the existing
"qt" package. Qt 4 and Qt 5 are installed to seperated directories in MXE,
"qt" and "qt5" respectively, so they can happily co-exist.

> (BTW: I cannot find
> QtSvg 5.0.2, for example, on the Digia git site, only version 5.0.1 and
> then 5.1.0.)

We currenlty have the 5.0.2-rc1 of the Qt 5 modules. This might be less
obvious than it should be because the files names don't contain the "-rc1".
It's in the download URL in the .mk files though.

Mark