Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Five packages crash 'make update'.

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Five packages crash 'make update'.
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:29:40 +1100

On 25/03/2013, at 3:05 PM, Niels Kristian Bech Jensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > These five packages crash 'make update'. I had to add ignore code (like
> > > in freetds.mk) to their .mk files to get the update completed:
> >
> > Thanks, the easy way to do this is change Makefile:239:11 from "error" to
> > "info"
> >
> Maybe this should be the default? It gracefully handles situations where a
> web site is unreachable.

It's likely a holdover from the time we did frequent, fully tested tarball
releases and it wasn't intended for users to run. It doesn't do what most
people think - it's very easy to trash an install with a failed build or find
some subtle conflict after an update. The internal consistency of those
releases was largely guaranteed (download and os update issues aide) and you
wouldn't want to run this on a working setup.

These days, hardware is faster so a frequent `make clean` is more feasible,
users of "master" get these updates anyway, and the pull request workflow means
we can get more people involved:

https://github.com/mxe/mxe/commit/107bd8856edf8a45a4d85122ab6809b4b5ceb64f

Cheers,