Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Request for OSS support

From: LM
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Request for OSS support
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:18:16 -0500

Martin Lambers wrote:
> Yes, but I believe this is limited to proprietary applications that
> want to use LGPL libraries. In that case, to enable the user to replace
> LGPL libraries as required by the license, you must use them as dynamic
> libraries.

I assumed most issues would be proprietary cases as well.  Started
researching copyright issues and was surprised by how many situations
I hit where certain types of Open licensing were not permissible with
GPL.  Don't have the list in front of me or I'd post some examples.  I
found it very interesting how many GPL applications using a library
like OpenSSL (BSD 4 clause) needed special linking considerations
added to the application's license in order to legally use them
together.  I do remember hitting situations with various licenses
usually considered Open where a library could be dynamically linked
because one could then switch out the library code with an updated
version, but couldn't be statically linked without violating the
license.

> Yes, but none of them has any significant number of users as far as I
> know. So you cannot expect your users to use one of these, and therefore
> you need to ship all dependencies yourself.

I'm working on a project that will include an update system so in my
particular case I do expect my users to make use of it.