Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] package python: compiles on multi-target

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] package python: compiles on multi-target
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 17:37:28 +1100

On 09/02/2013, at 4:24 PM, Václav Šmilauer <address@hidden> wrote:

and also bear in mind that we generally only include libraries, not applications?
Although python is technically an application,

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to another package in the same pull request, stimfit - which doesn't seem like something we'd include in mxe. Python (like guile) is fine for inclusion from that perspective. Maybe it's better to say we include libraries, compilers, and interpreters?

there is a number of reasons why it might be legitimely cross-compiled - (a) some programs might only link to python*.dll for embedding python, not really using the executable (b) some, written in python (hence using python*.exe), need (cross-)compiled python modules (that needs a python installation as well).

I haven't looked into it, but in the case of (b) I'm not sure anything but the python headers are required to compile module extensions. These aren't going to be statically linked, the only project I know that does something like that is PyRun [1]. I know I must be missing something ;)

Cheers,

Tony

[1] http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/