Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] cross-compiler for linux (?)

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] cross-compiler for linux (?)
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 08:42:43 +1100

Hi Alois,

Apologies for the belated reply.

On 05/07/2012, at 6:56 AM, Alois Schlögl <address@hidden> wrote:

> Recently, I've tested Tony's mxe, which supports multiple targets
> (i686-static, i686-dynamic, and x86_64-static).  It looks very good and both
> static version are working fine for me.

Thanks for the feedback.

> I'm wondering how easy it would be to include support for other target, I'm
> thinking about an experimental gnu/linux target.

It should be fairly easy from an infrastructure and compiler viewpoint, but I
wouldn't even know what the equivalent of mingw headers/runtime are on a
gnu/linux system.

> I hear you asking why would one like to do that. The advantage would be to
> have simple cross-compiler framework, that works with more recent software
> than installed on a typical stable system. A typical use case would be a
> project requires qt 4.7.x, but it's not available (yet) on debian/stable.
> Instead of building the whole toolchain for the latest dependencies, one
> could use the mxe framework.

I used to do something similar to keep FreeBSD/Open Solaris/OSX/Ubuntu in sync,
but with native builds instead. The simplest example of a native build is:

make -C /path/to/mxe sqlite sqlite_DEPS= PREFIX=~/mxe-native-test TARGET=

Then check the resulting binary:

~/mxe-native-test/bin/sqlite3 --version
file ~/mxe-native-test/bin/sqlite3

Of course, many packages have configure options and patches that are
mxe/windows specific, but that might give you a starting point - setting the
TARGET is the main differentiator.

Cheers,