Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE as virtual environment (python needs to r

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE as virtual environment (python needs to run itself natively during installation)
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 01:10:10 +0200

Václav Šmilauer schrieb:
> A solution which might work is to compile only the base python
> interpreter (no compiled modules; that works already) first, so that
> headers can be installed and other compiled libs, which require
> python (boost-python, pyqt4, ...) can be cross-compiled. As a second
> step (those would be additional targets for MXE, not required in
> itself), python installation would be finished/run on the target
> (through wine, with some minimal and reproducible setup).

While this is an entirely valid approach, it is not the
way we usually go in MXE. We're using Wine for testing,
but not as part of the build system.

However, if this is the only way you get it work, by all
means you should go that route.

> Another possibility would be to compile&install python entirely
> natively (but inside the MXE tree), then use installed headers to
> cross-compile dependent libraries.
>
> Is there some experience using MXE as virtual environment?

This latter approach is what we usually do. Of course there
is the danger that you might come across some details of
distutils/etc. that make cross-compiling unnecessarily hard.
However, I'm pretty sure the Python folks are happy to
receive cross-build related bug reports and bug fixes. The
idea here is that it might be difficult at the beginning,
but will become better and better as our proposals are
picked up by upstream.

HTH,

Volker Grabsch