[Mingw-cross-env-list] Debugging problems mingw/wine/gdb

From: Matthias Gehre
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Debugging problems mingw/wine/gdb
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 15:05:59 +0100

Hey list,

I got some problems regarding debugging of my crosscompiled
exectuables/dll's. Maybe one of you
has already encountered something like that.
1. When I start my executable under wine and it crashes, I get

wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00000000 at address
0xf7562a30 (thread 0022), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x00000000 in
32-bit code (0xf7562a30).
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:compute_location Only supporting one reg (eax/17 -> -2)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:compute_location Only supporting one reg (eax/17 -> -2)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:compute_location Only supporting one breg (eax/17 -> ebp/22)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:compute_location Only supporting one breg (eax/17 -> ebp/22)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_load_one_entry Unhandled Tag type 0x3b at
ctx(0x33bed8,L"libspark"), for 80
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_lookup_type Unable to load forward
reference for tag 3b
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_load_one_entry Unhandled Tag type 0x3b at
ctx(0x33bed8,L"libspark"), for 80
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_parse_subprogram Unhandled Tag type 0x4107
at ctx(0x33bed8,L"libspark"), for
debug_info(abbrev:0x1606a68,symt:0x177e51c)
[repeat the last line with varying values]
winedbg: Internal crash at 0x7e744e30

2. When I strip the debugging symbols, winedbg does not crash, but of
course I cannot see the sourcefile/lines.
I tried mingw-...-addr2line -e lightspark.dll 0x4752725
on the unstripped exectuable but that only gives me ??:0

3. Debugging the same application with mingw-cross-env's gdb under
wine, gdb just hangs after I typed 'run'.
When I press CTRL-C then, I get back to the gdb prompt with
'Quit (expect signal SIGINT when the program is resumed)'
when I type 'quit' then, it hangs again. I must terminate it by
killall `pidof gdb`

4. Debugging the same application with mingw-cross-env's gdb under
native win32, I get a lot of error of the form
warning: (Internal error: pc 0x18f in read in psymtab, but not in symtab)
with varying addresses. Symbols inside my exe/dll are not resolved.

To me it looks like the debug symbols generated by gcc are invalid,
but that's just my guess.
Any opinions?

Best wishes
Matthias