[Mingw-cross-env-list] package proposal: cmake

From: Martin Müllenhaupt
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] package proposal: cmake
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:31:00 +0100

Hi mingw-cross-env users,

what do you think about shipping our own CMake installation? I think
this could lead to a better CMake integration for mingw-cross-env.

More and more packages use the CMake build system. If you for example
use the tiff library, a simple find_package(tiff) does not include the
jpeg linking dependency, since the FindTIFF.cmake macro shipped with
CMake is not aware of this dependency (CMake version 2.8.5). I think you
could find a lot of other examples where CMake macros need to be
improved for this build environment.

Building our own CMake gives us a place to store the patches and get
them integrated upstream.

Another benefit is the up to date CMake version for all users of
mingw-cross-env. For example the CMake Qt integration changes often to
keep track of the Qt development.

I did not start implementing anything yet. I first want to hear about
your opinion.

Martin Müllenhaupt