Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Resend More Bugs

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Resend More Bugs
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:50:25 +0200

Thomas Dineen schrieb:
> Questions:
> 1) For the Fedora Cross Environment side:
> How can I modify the build to produce the library *.dll files?
> I am looking at enable_shared and enable_static. But  experiments have
> failed to produce any dlls! Can I produce both with the same gcc command
> or at least the same make?
>
> 2) On your Website you mentions "Dll Hell"! What do you mean?
> Are you referring to portability issues"
>
> [...]
>
> 4) What about portability issues?
> Static linking is probably more portable?
> But is dynamic linking workable in the Windows Environment?
> What is the best directory location to store the dlls in?

Those is a recurring questions. Please have a look at the following old
email which should answer those:

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2009-09/msg00025.html

Note that for Windows, static linking is actually harder and dynamic
linking, as most libraries and build scripts are nowadays written only
for the DLL case. So we're undertaking extra effort to allow for static
linking.

If all you want is cross-compiling with dynamic linking (and thus lots
of DLL files rather than a single EXE file), you might want to try
salternative projects. We link to them in the "See also" section of
our website:

http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#see-also

In particular, the Fedora corss-compiling packages might be intesting
to you, as you mentioned earlier that you are using Fedora:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/list/**mingw**

> 3) On the Windows / MinGW side what is the best location in the directory
> tree to place the i686-pc-mingw32 root library tree?

See my previous email. Mingw-cross-env is not intended to be
moved to a Windows/MinGW installation at all.

> 5) Next a NEW Build environment Bug from my attempt to build the cross
> compiler in the Solaris 10 / Intel Environment. (Why? Because that
> Solaris machine
> is way faster hardware)

Some time ago we dropped support for Solaris, because the only
usable distribution (OpenSolaris) became more and more outdated,
until you would have to build essentially all requirements on your
own before even starting the mingw-cross-env build.

I think that Tony can say more on that topic.

Maybe the situation changed in the mean time, but I haven't
seen any positive news about Solaris for a while.

Greets,

Volker Grabsch