Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Proposal: POCO C++ Libraries

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Proposal: POCO C++ Libraries
Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 17:49:19 +0200

Finny Thomas schrieb:
> I have put together a .mk build file for the POCO C++ libraries.

Thanks for your contribution! I just included it:

    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/ef0920156a25

In addition, I performed the following corrections and improvements:

    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/0aad8b3b6d3b

> I have also created a very simple test program for the POCO libraries
> (it only tests a small piece of functionality though; not sure what
> the protocol is for test creation, but other included tests also
> looked very simple.)

I simplified it even more, and finally removed the fat copyright note
as there's nothing left from the original example code.

This *-test programs in mingw-cross-env are mostly meant to be a linker
test. For more information, see section 6 of our "Guidelines for Creating
Packages":

    http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#creating-packages

> Note that there are actually 2 versions of the POCO library; one that
> is a "basic" edition that has no external dependencies, and a
> "complete" edition that depends on OpenSSL, MySQL, and ODBC.
>
> This build script only builds the basic version. I can try to expand
> this to include the complete version if that is desired.

This is an interesting question. For now, I think it is okay.
However, feel free to improve the *.mk file in the future once
you'd like to use the "complete" edition.

> I omitted the UPDATE section, as POCO naming is a bit irregular (they
> have release nums, but they also have patches they apply, which they
> append to the current version, so you can have poco-1.4.1p1.tar.gz),
> and I couldn't cleanly figure out how to do it. I also introduced a
> PATCHNUM variable to the poco.mk to try to make things cleaner.

This is a common issue and we already know how to deal with that
properly. Please have a look at my improvement patch. In short,
the trick is to use simply the whole stuff "1.4.1p1" as version
number, and to shorten it where needed. In this case, shortening
was only needed in exactly one place: the directory component of
the download URL.

> Note that POCO has its own configure script, where you can specify the
> build type to be "MinGW-CrossEnv." That's why the configure section
> looks different.

I had to patch this as it suffers from the "-mno-cygwin" issue.
Are you able to supply this patch to upstream?

    src/poco-1-fix-mno-cygwin.patch

If you don't have the time, it's okay. Just drop me a note and
I'll contact them on my own.

BTW. this patch only fixes the "MinGW-CrossEnv" config file, but
you almost certainly want to fix the native "MinGW" config file
as well.

Greets,

Volker Grabsch