Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Problems with exceptions and, threads, run ti

From: René Berber
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Problems with exceptions and, threads, run time library selection issue
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 14:23:26 -0500

Volker wrote:

> Regarding mingw-cross-env, I'd accept a patch that permanently
> switches the used runtime from msvcrt to msvcr90, as this should
> still support all Windows versions currently supported by MS.
>
> However, I'd first like to see a discussion on MinGW-Users about
> that topic, as the MinGW experts are there, not here.
>
> To all other mingw-cross-env users: Please complain if there
> are reasons not to do that!

I complain.

Reason: msvcr90 is not installed by default (or by any Microsoft patch
or VS redistributable runtime that I know off).  In Windows XP sp3 I
only have: msvcrt20.dll, msvcrt40.dll, msvcr70.dll, msvcr71.dll,
msvcr100.dll and that's because I have installed many packages that
install those runtimes.

Second reason: MinGW doesn't list any other dependency than msvcrt. None
of the executables built with MinGW depend on any other runtime; I
checked executables distributed with Qt's SDK, which include for
instance pythongdb, none depend on a different runtime.
--
René Berber