Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Feature Request: update installed packages

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Feature Request: update installed packages
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 22:30:26 +0100

Martin Gerhardy schrieb:
> It would be nice if mingw-cross-env could offer an update target like
> macports does (upgrade-outdated afair) - It would be nice to only
> download and recompile the already installed packages without the need
> to manually specify them or doing a make all.

Although it is certainly possible to implement such a feature
without too much effort, I don't think this would be too useful.
Since we install everything into a single directory (unlike macports
and other tools), from time to time a "make clean" is necessary,
after which the information about the previously installed packages
is lost.

Also, I think it is quite handy to differentiate between the
actually wanted packages (e.g. qt) and packages which are only
installed because the wanted packages depend on them (e.g. libpng).
So we shouldn't keep a list of all _installed_ packages, but a list
of all _wanted_ packages. This idea is similar to what happens in
Debian where DPKG/APT makes a difference between "manually installed"
and "automatically installed" packages.

However, this is easily done by hand as well. Just create a small
shell script "make-my-packages" containing a single line such as

    make qt graphicsmagick ...

and make that file executable. Then your upgrade consists of

    ./make-my-packages

or even

    make clean
    ./make-my-packages