Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of Release 2.14

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Preparation of Release 2.14
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 00:01:44 +1000

On 5 June 2010 23:05, Mark Brand <address@hidden> wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> Are we "off-list" on purpose?

Not particularly, my mistake. I started a new project this week and
it's a nightmare of "top-posted, copy-the-world" type emails. I've
taken to "reply" instead of "reply-all".

>>> AFAICS, the Qt 4.7 beta itself is of a very good quality, and
>>> preferable over Qt 4.6.
>>>
>>> (Mark, please correct me if I'm wrong. In that case I'd temporarily
>>> downgrade to Qt 4.6 for the release.)
>>
>> I also get the impression that it's stable enough - it's more a "do we
>> want to only use release versions". Some (glib) are more troublesome
>> than others.
>>

> I don't think it's a bad idea to use Qt 4.7, although I would rather see it
> with the latest patches that fix the float.h problem, assuming they don't
> cause new problems. The configure script for Qt is better too. Everything
> builds fine here.

They (the patches) actually solve a problem with xvidcore that the
previous $(SED) replacements introduced. I didn't have time to look at
it, but it's gone now.

> While its a beta, it's unlikely that the features common to Qt 4.6.2 have
> suffered much.
>
> Even if a user runs into a problem, it's easy to revert back to the qt.mk
> for Qt 4.6.2.
>
> Merge request for cross building Qt is now on track to be included in 4.7.

Looking at some of the previous releases, they only have one or two
betas and release candidates. Even the tech previews seem to be quite
stable.

I've started testing against the current dev version with the float.h
patches applied.

Cheers,