Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] GDB build failure on Open Solaris

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] GDB build failure on Open Solaris
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 01:03:12 +0200

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> GDB is failing on Open Solaris with what seems to be a problem with
> either sh or sed. The sed version is GNU sed version 4.1.5, which is
> about 4 years old, but in the sed timescale probably recent enough. sh
> is bash 3.2.25.
>
> The log is attached, and I don't know where to start with investigating this.
>
> Any pointers appreciated.

This is a problem with the shell. The "gdb/regformats/regdat.sh" shell
script uses a quite complicated quoting construct:

    echo "const char *expedite_regs_${name}[] = { \"`echo ${expedite} | sed
's/,/", "/g'`\", 0 };"

Here, the "sed" command should be called with the following argument:

    sed 's/,/", "/g'

However, for some strange reason it gets a bigger argument, probably
something like this:

    sed 's/,/", "/g'`\", 0 };...

And so it complains. It seems to me that the /bin/sh (Bash?) of
OpenSolaris is buggy.

Do you think there is a quick and clean solution? Probably a
portability patch? Or can we demand to install some more recent
"Bash" package in the OpenSolaris requirements section?

Otherwise, I'd remove gdb temporarily for the release.

Greets,

Volker Grabsch
Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR