Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] mingw-cross-env release status?

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] mingw-cross-env release status?
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 17:50:01 +0200

Natalie Tasman <address@hidden> schrieb:
> I recently tried building the latest stable release and got download errors
> on gcc-gmp.  Looking at the URL vs available packages on sourceforce, it's
> reference to an older version of a file which is no longer provided.

Unfortunately, this happens from time to time when some package
maintainer(s) suddenly decide to break existing download URLs
for no reason.

I usually refer to the following execellent W3C article on that topic:
http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

> I went ahead and just finished building from the lasted development code and
> the build completed.  I prefer to use official stable releases, if possible.
> What's the outlook for getting a trusted, working stable release?  Or should
> I assume that the dev versions are fine to use for software releases built
> under mingw-cross-env?

There is no general solution this kind of problem. However, we
usually fix them quite quickly in the development version of
mingw-cross-env. So you can simply use our current development
version, which uses the latest release of many packages:

http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#development

Or you could wait a few days until we start our next release.

In the future I'll try to run Mingw-cross-env releases more
frequently. The current release cycle of about two months is
way too slow.

> Many thanks and appreciation from a new mingw-cross-env user,

You're welcome!

Greets,

Volker Grabsch
Administrator