Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL_Pango in mingw-cross-env

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL_Pango in mingw-cross-env
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:12:47 +0200

David Bruce <address@hidden> schrieb:
> > It would be great if you could perform a similar research on the
> > second patch. If that's too much work or if you can't figure it out,
> > please tell me. In that case I'll do that research on my own.
>
> The "matrix-declarations..." patch is part of the Fedora rpm package
> for sdl_pango, and the author is listed as "thias", who appears to be
> the packager.  Not being a Fedora member, I couldn't find any
> public-visible info on this person.

That's a pity. But since you created a better patch, this problem
doesn't matter anymore.

> The patch itself, however, is extremely simple - it just moves the
> offending const declarations/definitions from SDL_Pango.h into
> SDL_Pango.c, and replaces them in the header file with "extern const
> ..." declarations.  Alternatively, we could use this little patch I
> wrote that makes them "static const" in the header (if there is
> something wrong with that approach, please let me know).

Although your solution seems to be less "clean", I like it more
because it works equally well and requires just a minimum of changes
to the original sources.

So I included your patch. Thanks for your contribution!

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/87ceb4929ce9

Note, however, that I had to perform some corrections to your patch
before including it, which I list here for the sake of completeness:

1)  The patch was created in the wrong direction, new->orig instead
    of orig->new, i.e. it removed the "static" qualifiers rather
    than adding them.

2)  The patch did not contain directory paths, i.e. it couldn't
    be applied from the sources' root directory with the "-p1"
    option. It only worked when running the "patch" command
    directly within the src/ subdirectory.

3)  The line DOS ending of the patch were lost, probably during
    the email transfer. There is a simple trick to avoid this
    issue: just compress your patch file (e.g. with gzip as a
    *.diff.gz or *.patch.gz file) before sending it via email.

Greets,

Volker Grabsch
Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR