Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Using DLLs instead of static libraries?

From: Joost Kraaijeveld
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Using DLLs instead of static libraries?
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:29:50 +0100

On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 20:50 +0100, Volker Grabsch wrote:
> Joost Kraaijeveld <address@hidden> wrote:
> > [...] I would really like to use DLLs instead: I have a set of
> > rather large libraries with a lot of test programs that all link
> > to (most) Boost and (all) wxWidgets libraries and it is eating
> > my disks.
>
> In that case I'd recommend to build one big application DLL
> file into which the application and all dependency libs are
> statically linked. Then, create small EXE files which are
> dynamically linked against that one DLL. This is cleaner and
> less hassle than using many small DLL files.
>
> Alternatively, consider using the existing official DLL files
> provided with almost all libraries, instead of building your
> own DLL files.

I understand what you say. But this will require restructuring a fairly
complex build system that, at last, works on Linux (and all Unixes/Unix
clones I working on AND the standalone Windows environment that we also
have) and leads to at least 2 building infra structures. Which beats the
purpose of my Autotools effort.

Back to thinking.

--
Groeten,