[Mingw-cross-env-list] DirectShow Phonon Backend for Qt

From: Mark Brand
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] DirectShow Phonon Backend for Qt
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 02:49:38 +0100

Hi,

I am interested in getting a working phonon back end in Qt built on
mingw-cross-env and have had some success using Thierry Bastian's
"mingw-dshow" headers and patch. I sent a very rough version to Volker
and he had some comments. We thought we should move the discussion here.

Quoth Volker:
> While the patch for e.g. amvideo.h looks like a small bugfix, and
> thus is very welcome in mingw-cross-env, the other patches seems
> to replace substantial parts of the header files.

That patch was not meant as a submission to be included. It was just to
give you an idea of what's possible. This is still in the early stages.

BTW, instead of looking at MinGW-gcc440_1.zip, I'm now working with
Thierry Bastian's "mingw-dshow" headers and patch proposed to MinGW. The
patch applies to w32api files. The headers could be seen as a
"directshow" package.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2673182&group_id=2435&atid=302435

> I think we should first have a clear picture of the relationships between:
>
>     * The DirectX headers/libs provided by MinGW's original mingwrt

Do you mean w32api?

A few headers are patched. Some fixes and more additions.  It doesn't
look like there are substantial changes otherwise.

These changes and additions could make a nice patch for w32api in
mingw-cross-env, without waiting for MinGW to accept them. Do you agree?

>     * The DirectX 9 headers/libs of Microsoft (repackaged by Allegro)

Some of the files have the same names as directx files. Is that really
"9"?  Am I misunderstanding the "8" in the package name dx80_mgw?

I notice dx80_mgw *overwrites* the dshow.h of w32api. Is that by design?
If not, maybe dx80_mgw headers should be isolated in their own
subdirectory.

>     * The DirectX headers/libs of MinGW-gcc440_1.zip

The "mingw-dshow" package has just enough DirectShow for Phonon work.
So, I think you could in principle see it as an update for dx80_mgw, but
not a full one. In theory I suppose the headers could be merged, but
that job is too big for me.

Would it be a good idea to put the "mingw-dshow" headers in a special
subdir of usr/i686-pc-mingw32/include so the names don't collide with
dx80_mgw headers? (Assuming the dx80_mgw headers stay where they are.)

-Mark