Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Compiling pkg-config considered harmful :-)

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Compiling pkg-config considered harmful :-)
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 11:55:46 +0100

Dmitry Groshev <address@hidden> schrieb:
> While working on a SlackBuild for MinGW for my own use, I used
> mingw-cross-env as one source of inspiration.

I'm glad you like the design of mingw-cross-env. Feel free to
"steal" anything you need, and to ask about any details that
are unclear.

BTW, if you got mingw-cross-env working on Slackware, please
consider contributing some notes to our "requirements" section:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/raw-file/fcd35d6aa464/doc/index.html#requirements

Many systems aren't addressed there yet. You'd just have to
provide a simple command that installs all required packages.

Maybe Slackware needs exactly the same installation command
as Frugalware?

> And during the process,
> it came to my notice that target pkg-config which mingw-cross-env
> creates, is in fact working wrong. [...]
> The solution to this problem is simple. Refrain from building the
> pkg-config package altogether, and instead place this simple script in
> $PREFIX/bin/$TARGET-pkg-config

It's funny that I thought about this alternative just a few
days ago. I noticed that the native build of pkg-config doesn't
fit well into the rest of mingw-cross-env's concepts:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cross-env-list/2010-01/msg00124.html

> -----Begin cut-----
> #!/bin/sh
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=
> export PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/lib/pkgconfig
> exec pkg-config "$@"
> -----End cut-----

Thanks for the contribution! I shortened it a bit and included it:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/diff/67bf0bb5cc25/src/gcc.mk

Whole changeset:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/67bf0bb5cc25

Greets,