Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt for mingw-cross-env

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt for mingw-cross-env
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 23:21:46 +0200

Mark Brand <address@hidden> schrieb:
> I am wondering if a statically linked Qt will actually be inconvenient
> for some people.

Judging for the feedback so far, I don't think so. Before making
Qt a shared library, let's wait for a real demand. The 3rd design
principle of X fits very well here:

    "The only thing worse than generalizing from one
     example is generalizing from no examples at all."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System#Principles

> This is because using statically linked Qt requires
> changes to your application source code if you use plugins.

According to the Qt docs, it's just a bunch of lines similar to:

    Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(qjpeg)
    Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(qgif)
    Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN(qkrcodecs)

that need to be added to the main.cpp. Maybe they need to be
embedded into an "#ifdef WIN32" block, but I bet this won't
be needed.

> This could
> be annoying to people that just want to build application packages.

I don't think that adding those lines is more inconvenient
than, let's say, examining which DLL files are exactly needed
for the package and adjusting the packaging scripts to include
those DLL files.

So let's consider shared libraries when a real need arises. :-)

Greets,

Volker Grabsch
Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR