mediagoblin-userops

[Userops] Web server auto-configuration

From: Shawn Landden
Subject: [Userops] Web server auto-configuration
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 22:28:35 -0700

aside from PHP, most web apps run their own web servers, however many
small web-site owners (myself included) don't pay extra for wildcard
certificates, and it is also not really acceptable to host on ports
other than 443. Therefore a reverse proxy, such as nginx must be used.

Also, when hosting on a private server services often so unused, and
VPSs often have very constrained RAM (this is the most expensive part
of VPS selling as it can't be shared like CPU).

Therefore, I propose that we use systemd socket activation for web
services, with autoquit timeouts, and have a way to auto-configure
nginx to act as a reverse proxy to these services. e.g. if the package
name is "mediagoblin" then it would automatically show up under
https://servername.domain/mediagoblin/

This also means that https certificates only have to be configured once.

I have had alot of trouble with apps, even in Debian, that can't even
cope with being under sub-directories, which meant I couldn't use them
as I don't have a wildcard https certificate. (a self-signed
certificate is not really an option)
--
Liberty equality fraternity or death,

Shawn Landden