mediagoblin-devel

Re: librejs support and autoconf bug

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: librejs support and autoconf bug
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 05:13:56 -0500

On Mon, 06 Mar 2023 19:37:40 +1100 Ben wrote:
> Regarding the two bug-trackers, I guess my question would be - what
> would you do if you had an unstable existing bug tracker that had many
> many years of useful information in it?

"unstable" is a bit to vague to give a definitive suggestion; but
i suppose i would first try to "stabalize" it, before using
another - if that was too much work, or the software would be
troublesome to maintain into the future, i would consider
writing a down-and-dirty migration tool, to import the data to a
different tracker somehow - if indeed it is wise to start using a
different tracker, of course, there is the obvious solution to
avoid the migration pain - namely, to complete all of the work
tasks, which are represented on the original tracker - then
archiving it read-only and labeling it as "legacy", would not be
cumbersome or confusing

most importantly, i would try to draw a lesson from the
unfortunate experience - choose the next software cautiously,
software which i am very confident will be maintainable for many
years to come - something mature, popular, and well-supported by
major distros, invites more confidence - we use redmine, for
example

the current situation, to rely a third-party freebie service, is
probably the worst possible option - if the team likes sourcehut
very much, and you believe that it will be maintainable for many
years, i would seriously consider operating your own instance of
it

as a GNU project, another obvious option exists - mediagoblin
could leverage the GNU infrastructure, the savannah tracker, or
the BTS email system - those options are "the best of both
worlds" - a high confidence of future availability, and someone
else maintains it