mediagoblin-devel

A more modern gallery

From: Olivier Mehani
Subject: A more modern gallery
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 01:07:44 +1000

Ahoy,

After the restart community call, I sent an email with a list of bugs/features that I saw as needed. I also created some tickets as a follow up. One of them is about improving the gallery views so they look more modern [0].

I have had a jab at this, and I think the outcome is now decent enough for review (see screenshots). Essentially, it uses flexboxes (with heaps of thanks to [1] for having teased out the messy bits), and overrides various bits of skeleton (ditches columns, disable container sizing) to be more responsive.

As an added bonus, it also enables keyboard navigation (left/right) in the gallery views, and refactors the media_grid macro so it is more reusable (introducing a media_entry sub-macro).

Now, this fulfills my needs, and looks pretty much the way I was aiming for, but I ain't no front-end dev. I fear this might be a pile of hacks, so I would welcome any input about how to make it cleaner/nicer. I also only tested with the airy theme; other themes might require some love, too.

There are patches attached to the ticket [0], but a Git branch can also be fetched from [2].

Let me know what you think! Ideally, I'd want to merge this into the main branch once we're all happy with it.

[0] https://issues.mediagoblin.org/ticket/5619
[1] https://github.com/xieranmaya/blog/issues/6
[2] https://scm.narf.ssji.net/git/mediagoblin/log/?h=5619-modern-gallery

--
Olivier Mehani <shtrom+mediagoblin@ssji.net>
PGP fingerprint: 4435 CF6A 7C8D DD9B E2DE  F5F9 F012 A6E2 98C6 6655