man-db-devel

Re: getting wrong entries from gnulib

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: getting wrong entries from gnulib
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 10:37:34 +0100

On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 05:36:30PM -0700, Mike Fulton wrote:
> I am building man-db from the git development line and am pulling in a
> libpipeline I have already built from a tarball build (
> https://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/libpipeline/libpipeline-1.5.6
> ).
> Everything binds, but I am seeing a mix of references to the underlying
> gnulib functions, in particular reallocarray is pulled in from the
> libpipeline archive rather than the reallocarray I build as part of man-db.
> This is causing a crash which I believe is due to 2 different versions of
> the gnulib functions
> that are incompatible.

It sounds like perhaps you're building libpipeline statically, which is
unsupported.  You need to use dynamic linking so that libpipeline can
only export the symbols it's supposed to export.

If that isn't the problem, could you provide the full build log for both
libpipeline and man-db?

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwatson@debian.org]