man-db-devel

[Man-db-devel] Option to disable "next man page" prompt

From: Klaus Kusche
Subject: [Man-db-devel] Option to disable "next man page" prompt
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 11:53:36 +0200

Hello,

please add a command line option to "man" to disable that horrible
"--Man-- next: xxx(xx) [ view (return) | skip (Ctrl-D) | quit (Ctrl-C) ]"
prompt.

If there are multiple pages to display man should display them.
I'm used to very quickly scroll through several man pages
by just hitting the "space" key or the "q" key rapidly,
and this silly prompt requires me to alternate between
the "space" or "q" key (to page down and/or leave the pager)
and the "return" key for that prompt (to display the next page),
which requires two fingers and
makes browsing pages quickly slower by an order of magnitude.

An even better idea would be to make a single call to the pager
with *all* formatted pages as arguments. Then the pager (at least my pager)
would automatically advance to the next page the way I'm used to,
and I could go forth and back between pages with the left and right cursor keys
(which are bound to "prev file" and "next file" here).

Thanks!

--
Prof. Dr. Klaus Kusche
Private address: Rosenberg 41, 07546 Gera, Germany