Re: GNU make CPU utilization in cloud environments

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: GNU make CPU utilization in cloud environments
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 08:25:55 -0500

On Wed, 2016-02-17 at 10:35 +0100, Tamás Fülöp wrote:
> I am experiencing problems with the GNU make 3.81 in Amazon-like cloud
> environment. The "make.exe" does not utilizes the virtual CPUs, the
> utilization sits around 1% and that makes the building process really
> slow.

You haven't given us enough information to respond.  First, are you
using the "-jN" flag (where N is some value related to the number of CPU
cores you have)?  Are you using any other flags with your make?

Second, is your makefile environment recursive (with make recipes
invoking sub-makes), or is it non-recursive (one make process loads all
the makefiles)?  If it's recursive, are you sure you're using the
$(MAKE) variable to start your sub-makes?

In versions of GNU make prior to 4.0, the "job server" feature of GNU
make was not supported on Windows.  This means that if your makefile is
very recursive you will get very little parallelism in those versions
regardless of how large your value is for "-j".

If you want more parallelism you'll have to either (a) upgrade to a
newer version of GNU make, or (b) rework your makefiles so they're non
-recursive.