Make 3.99.91/92 - Output-Synchronization fails with UAC or Non-Admins (u

From: Markus Eisenmann
Subject: Make 3.99.91/92 - Output-Synchronization fails with UAC or Non-Admins (under Windows)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 16:21:30 +0200

Hi!

I have built a windows-make version of the release-canditate versions 3.99.91 and 3.99.92,
using Visual Studio and MinGW. The result, I.e. make fails if I'm using parallel builds and the featureĀ  'output-synchronization' with an error like 'could not create tmpfile'.

After spending some time for debugging, I have detected the "problem":
- A temporary file is used to buffer the outputs (of course)
- this file is created with calling 'tmpfile()'.

As written in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x8x7sakw%28v=vs.90%29.aspx,
tmpfile() does create a temporary file in the root directory; But in many cases - e.g. inhibited by NTFS-security or if UAC is active - a creation of files in the root-directory is forbidden.

IMHO, I think, this type of temporary files should be created like other needed temporary (batch-) files in the TMP/TEMP-folder (using the associated environment variable).

Best regards from Salzburg,
Markus