Re: Any known problems with relative paths in VPATH on Windows?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Any known problems with relative paths in VPATH on Windows?
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 22:48:53 +0300

> From: Duane Campbell <address@hidden>
> CC: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>, Duane Campbell
>       <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 11:55:28 -0700
>
> Windows has limits on path length, approximately (as I don't remember exactly
> off-hand):
>   256 chars total in dir or file path
>   128 chars in each element in dir or file path

No, it's 256 in each element, and 260 overall.

But this shouldn't be the issue here, as I understand the problem is
with the total length of VPATH, not with individual elements within
it.  Erik, is that right?

Maybe c:\very-long-src-dir\..\very-long-build-dir together exceeded
260 characters?  If so, I'd first suspect some fixed-size char array
in Make's code, something like

   char foo[FILENAME_MAX];

This could easily overflow in the above case.