Any known problems with relative paths in VPATH on Windows?

From: Erik Carstensen
Subject: Any known problems with relative paths in VPATH on Windows?
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 10:41:48 +0200

Hi,

Are there any known problems or caveats with having relative paths with ..\ in VPATH on Windows?

I'm getting some strange errors: I have a directory on the form ..\..\..\..\foo\bar on VPATH, where there are two .c files. make finds one, but not the other, via VPATH, and make -d gives me no clues. The problem happens every time and in different make versions, but I can only reproduce it on Windows, and only with some makefiles (I have many makefiles on the same form, where only the source file names differ). The problem disappears if I use an absolute path in VPATH, but this will break if cwd contains spaces.

This all happens inside a rather complex makefile jungle, so it might just be a problem with my makefiles; I'm working on minimizing a test case.