Re: With SHELL=cmd, make fails to execute bat file paths starting with .

From: Erik Carstensen
Subject: Re: With SHELL=cmd, make fails to execute bat file paths starting with ../
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 09:08:04 +0200

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
You are welcome to send patches.  But just based on the above example,
I don't yet see any compelling reason to change anything in the
current development sources,

I just thought it might be a more lightweight and robust solution for the other problem I reported earlier (spaces in .bat paths): You are detecting .bat files already, so instead of doing complicated special treatment  that relies on undocumented behaviour, it sounds easier to just fall back to non-short-circuiting path, so cmd.exe will handle that for you.

> cmd.exe itself is inconsistent in its support of forward slashes, and that even changes between Windows versions).

Right, that's a convincing argument for avoiding forward slashes, which in turn means that my example is unimportant. Sorry for the noise.

For some reason I was trying to avoid backslashes in makefiles, because I thought make doesn't like those in dependency lists etc. Apparently that's just a prejudice; \ seems to work nicely everywhere.