Re: installing make 3.82 on DOS errors

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: installing make 3.82 on DOS errors
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 13:28:15 +0300

> From: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 12:07:16 +0100
>
> Hello
> The readme file for the 3.82 installation of make says to install it
> using;
>
> configure.bat c:\downloads\make-3.82

This is for building the DOS port of Make.  Is that what you wanted?
If so, you lack some basic packages to be able to compile the DOS
version.

If, on the other hand, you wanted to build the MS-Windows version,
please read the file README.W32 instead.

Finally, you might be much better off downloading and installing the
pre-compiled binaries of the Windows port of Make:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Extension/make/make-3.82.90-cvs-20120823/

(If you want the DOS binaries, get
ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/mak3791b.zip instead.)

> which gives me the following errors:
> Configuring MAKE for DJGPP
> 'update' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

You don't have the djdev203.zip package that is required for building
DJGPP (a.k.a. DOS) ports of GNU software.

> So if I use DOSBUILD.BAT I get loads more errors, actually hundreds which
> are too numerous to copy here.

You probably don't have the GCC compiler installed, either.

> Am I going about this the right way ? How do I install it ?

What do you need Make for, to begin with?  What will you want to do
with it?