Re: Running make on WinXP using cygwin, but struggeling running make in

From: David Highley
Subject: Re: Running make on WinXP using cygwin, but struggeling running make in
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 06:13:23 -0700 (PDT)

""Anderson Fredrik (fa)" wrote:"

> Hi,
>
> Our build system is using GNU make from a cygwin package running on Windows=
>  XP 32-bit clients. Now we are into migrating to Windows 7 mainly 64-bit ve=
> rsion.
> So have tried different GNU make versions on Windows 7 computer:
>
> =B7         Cygwin different package setups, both make version 3.79 and 3.8=
> 2. Think it was 3.82 might be 3.71, but struggled.
>
> =B7         MinGW/msys, make version 3.81, worked best, most of the times t=
> he make executed OK. 2 / 83 times our system didn't build making make crash=
>  in the middle of execution on a pretty big library.
>
> =B7         GnuWin32, make version 3.81, struggling getting make executing =
> using "$(shell" commands in Makefiles.
>
> I assume someone has a successful setup, similar to ours, anywhere in the w=
> orld, we can't be alone. :-)
> That's the reason for putting this email to the list. Hope someone can sugg=
> est, point to a good working solution for a Windows 7 64-bit computer.
>
> More info about how we execute make, we do use job flag, -j. The server use=
> s 8 cores so we setup the -j to 16.
>
> Any help suggestion is appreciated.

We have been building on Windows 7 using Studio 2005 version 8.0 tools
and are in the process of moving to Studio 2008 version 10.0 tools and
adding a 64 bit build flavor. We are not quite ready to post an update
to the build process yet, but you can see what we have been using here:
http://www.highley-recommended.com/make_process/index.html

We did have to stay with an older version of Cygwin as the newer
versions would fail to build with a fork resource issue with the shell
under the build process. Most of the changes we are currently doing
involve adding a new macro block for the Studio 10.0 compiler as all the
paths changed.