Re: Parallel build

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Parallel build
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:30:56 -0500

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 17:57 +0400, niXman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I built make from CVS. I'am confused that option "-jN" didn't work properly.
> When I set N to count (doesn't matter how much I set) It will build
> using 1 thread.
> If I'm use this option without setting count It'll build with a lot of
> threads (more than 20).
> Why does make work not properly?

You'll have to provide a test case, and explain what happens, otherwise
we can't help.

This makefile, for example, works correctly for me on GNU/Linux (with
-j2 I get two jobs at a time running):

        all: 1.p 2.p 3.p 4.p 5.p 6.p
        .PHONY: all
        %.p: ; @echo start $* && sleep 2 && echo end $*

Using this I can see that the first two run, then a pause, then the next
two, etc.:

        start 1
        start 2
        end 1