Re: stdout / stderr on cmd.exe

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: stdout / stderr on cmd.exe
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 03:42:18 -0400

> Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:00:37 +0200
> From: Florian Reinhard <address@hidden>
>
> If one uses "make -j<n>" on cmd.exe one sees that stdout and stderr
> are terribly messed up, which makes it impossible to identify compiler
> error messages, or have an IDE parse the make output.

This is not specific to Windows.  This is how Make works on all
platforms.  So address@hidden is a better place to ask about this.

> Is that a known issue and/or has somebody an idea how to fix this?

It cannot be "fixed", because it isn't a bug.  A new feature has been
discussed on address@hidden some time ago that would remedy this,
but the proposed implementation of the solution is IMO not much better
than the problem, because it would essentially prevent you from seeing
the output of an entire recipe until that recipe finishes.  That means
you are building blind, for those (important) use cases where recipes
are sub-Make invocations that run long commands.

> I've looked a bit into the code and tried to solve it with semaphores
> when accessing stdout /stderr but i guess that's not the way it should
> be?

Semaphores or any similar solution will have the same problem as
mentioned above, because Make has no control on programs in a recipe
once it launches them.