Re: archiving error [make (e=87): The parameter is incorrect.]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: archiving error [make (e=87): The parameter is incorrect.]
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 09:22:02 +0300

> From: "John Lee \(GMI\)" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>,
>       "John Lee" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 05:07:20 +0800
> Disposition-Notification-To: "John Lee \(GMI\)" <address@hidden>
>
> (1)
> I have shorten the *.o file to 1071 files, which works ok,
> But @ 1072 *.o files, the archiving will fail.
> Total character count for this *.o arguments is 33085.

That's your problem: on Windows, the limit for the length of a command
line is around 32K characters.  You are apparently hitting that
limit.

This is a fundamental limitation of Windows APIs Make uses to run
programs.  Lifting this limit needs to compile Make as Unicode
application, which is a large job.  Patches are welcome.

Until this is resolved, you will have to break your long command line
in two.  E.g., create 2 separate object archives and use both in the
link command line.  Or make the second "ar" command use "-rs" instead
of "-rcs", so that the second portion of *.o files is added to an
already existing archive, rather than creating a new one.