Problems with GNU make in Windows 7 (64-bit)

From: Rob Juergens
Subject: Problems with GNU make in Windows 7 (64-bit)
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 09:36:01 -0700

In Windows 7 on a 64-bit machine, the development system (MS Visual Studio) is, by default, installed into a directory named “Program Files (x86)”.  Apparently, the present of the “(x86)” in the name is causing the variable expansion routines to recurse forever.

In my makefile, I have the line:

x86 := $(strip $(shell ls -d "$(SystemDrive)/Program Files (x86)" 2>nul))

Sometimes, make just crashes (with  a stack overflow from recursive calls), and other times, it bails with the message “_main: memory allocation error during startup” (which is a Windoze error message).

Please let me know if there is anything more I can provide or do for you in this area.  Our build process uses GNU make on all platforms (including Windoze), and until we can solve this issue we are stuck in a 32-bit XP environment.

Thanks,

Rob Juergens

address@hidden

(909) 754-5106