Re: Windows make invoking cygwin sh bug

From: tom honermann
Subject: Re: Windows make invoking cygwin sh bug
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 01:02:50 -0700

As you noted, this is not a defect in GNU make, but rather a defect in Cygwin (CYGWIN=noglob doesn't work as documented - I've come across this as well), and, essentially, incorrectly written makefiles.

Cygwin is an implementation of POSIX for Windows and therefore uses POSIX style path names. It does have limited support for handling Windows native path names, but you'll likely have limited success getting your makefiles working well using native path names. I recommend you make use of the 'cygpath' utility to convert path names to what Cygwin expects. I've seen this done with make variables like the following:

   N2PP=$(foreach path,$(1),$(shell $(CYGWIN_HOME)/bin/cygpath.exe -u
   $(subst \,\\,$(path))))

N2PP stands for "Native to POSIX Path". Assuming you are using the Win32 GNU make port (not the Cygwin port), this can be used something like:

   target:
        $(call N2PP,c:\foo) 1 "2 3" 4

Note that GNU make does not assume or know that the shell being used is the Cygwin shell, so a patch may not be appropriate.

Tom.