Re: Specify how to link with libiconv

From: Chris Sutcliffe
Subject: Re: Specify how to link with libiconv
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 07:34:16 -0500

On 22/01/2011 9:28 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
If you have libiconv.dll.a somewhere where ld will look, then just
using -liconv in the link command line should DTRT.  Since ld looks
for libiconv.dll.a _before_ libiconv.a, the presence of the latter
shouldn't matter.
Typically I would say that's the case, except make's configure is
resolving to the actual library:

checking how to link with libiconv... /mingw/lib/libiconv.a
I doubt that the Make's configure script supports MinGW.  If you can
propose a change for the configury to DTRT with dynamic linking
against DLLs, please do.

By default the make's configure script works fine with the static libintl / libiconv for MinGW. Following up on the mingw-dvlpr mailing list, I found out the necessary change to configure (specifically config.rpath) to allow configure to pick up on the shared libraries. For details see:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=26942209

Thank you,

Chris