Re: make: Interrupt/Exception caught

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make: Interrupt/Exception caught
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 04:20:09 -0500

> Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 12:28:04 -0600
> From: Raleigh Rinehart <address@hidden>
> CC: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>
> I will check out the Environment variables and see if anything turns up
> there.  However, after some more tests it seems that the problem is
> related  to command line parameter length limits.  We are using just the
> plain windows cmd.exe for our shell (on XP and 2003).  If I divide the
> $(libraries) list into smaller chunks then it is okay.  Although it is
> somewhat strange that I get this error since the length of the cmd is
> 5329, well short of the supposed 8191 limit for cmd.exe on xp.  I
> suppose it could just be a bug in 3.81.

Actually, the way Make invokes command lines that don't need
redirection, pipes, and other shell features, the maximum length of a
command line is 32K, because Make doesn't go through cmf.exe in that
case.

Are you sure this is a command line length problem?  Did you verify
that the same Makefile works with shorter commands?  If so, what is
the maximum command line length that still works?

> Now the problem is how to write a macro to split a list into multiple
> smaller lists to exec the cmd on.  I already know I'm going to have the
> same issue in other parts on the makefile (linking for example).  Any
> ideas on this?

Why do you need a macro?  Cannot you define the partial lists
manually?

If the list is produced automatically by Make, please show how it is
produced.  The recipe for breaking it depends on how it is produced.