Re: Minor patch to correct buffer overrun

From: Chris Sutcliffe
Subject: Re: Minor patch to correct buffer overrun
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:39:09 -0400

On 18 August 2010 13:19, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Can you explain what exactly was the problem with the original code?
> The value of p was computed earlier as
>
>      p = name + strlen (name);

I added:

        printf("p: %d\n", p - name + 1);

given that was the value originally used:

        memcpy (tem, name, p - name + 1);

when run with the problematic Makefile I supplied earlier, the results
were as follows (all in one run):

p: 2
p: 2
p: 46
p: 20
p: 11
p: 25
p: 43
p: 37
p: 26
p: 29
p: 27
p: 4
p: 5
p: 322
p: 326
p: 327
p: 345
p: 23
p: 27
p: 349
p: 28
p: 350

As you can see, the 259 bytes for 'tem' were significantly exceeded.

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe
http://emergedesktop.org