Re: Minor patch to correct buffer overrun

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Minor patch to correct buffer overrun
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 22:12:37 +0300

> From: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
> Cc: Chris Sutcliffe <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:32:39 -0400
>
> On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 20:19 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Can you explain what exactly was the problem with the original code?
>
> Well, if the size of tem was MAXPATHLEN, but the size of name was
> PATH_MAX or similar, and PATH_MAX is 1024 and MAXPATHLEN is 269 (or
> whatever it was), and your filename is long... that's a problem.

But `name' is a file name of a directory on Windows, and Windows
directories simply cannot have names longer than 259 characters.  So I
don't see how this potential problem could actually happen.

> I think the right fix is the one we were discussing earlier: all code
> that wants a static buffer large enough to house a pathname should be
> changed to use PATH_MAX, and we can tweak out make.h to set PATH_MAX to
> a useful value on any system where it's not yet set.

That's okay, but PATH_MAX and MAXPATHLEN are the same on Windows, the
value is 259.  So if there is a problem in this code, it will still
exist after the change you propose.  That's why I asked Chris to
provide more data, like the actual length of the file name that
allegedly caused the crash.