RE: Installing GNU make-3.81

From: Rinehart, Raleigh
Subject: RE: Installing GNU make-3.81
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:29:50 -0500

From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of Jeffrey Freeman
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:53 PM
To: address@hidden
Subject: Fwd: Installing GNU make-3.81

Dear Sir/Madam,

Let me preface by saying this is my first venture into the GNU realm. I am using MS Windows Vista, and while I'm trying to be a big kid, I may need someone to hold my hand as I cross the street.

Ultimately, I would like to use GNU Octave with GNUPlot, and from what I have read thus far, I need to install GNU make be able to do that. I have downloaded and unpacked GNU make-3.81. Upon reading the README and INSTALL files, I believe I am supposed to 'cd' to the directory containing the source code, then proceed with:

.\configure

.\sh build.sh     (since this is my first 'make' program)

.\make check

.\make install

.\make clean

However, when I try to use '.\configure', I get the following error:

|   C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\Desktop\Desktop\make-3.81>.\configure

|       Configuring MAKE for DJGPP

|       'update' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

|       operable program or batch file.

|       The Vdm Redirector is already loaded

|       No Make program found--use DOSBUILD.BAT to build Make.

So then I ran '.\dosbuild' and got the following response: