RE: why does command echo \\\foobar print \\foobar

From: Duane Campbell
Subject: RE: why does command echo \\\foobar print \\foobar
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 11:35:57 -0800

If you want to make sure CMD's built-in "echo" is colled, not some "echo.exe",
then put a dot on the command.

    echo foo
will find a .exe named echo if it can

    echo. foo
will never find a .exe, so fallsback to the cmd.exe built-in

The same "append a dot" trick works for all CMD.EXE built-in functions: mkdir,
rmdir, dir, type, etc

.duanec.