RE: why does command echo \\\foobar print \\foobar

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: why does command echo \\\foobar print \\foobar
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 12:05:05 -0800

OK, forget about echo, I don't really need it, I can get away with something
that is the same with or without Cygwin, like perl.  I have a perl script
foobar.pl, that just prints its command line arguments.  So then, in order to
print "\\foobar" from make, I currently need

foobar:
        perl foobar.pl \\\foobar

C:\Temp>make foobar
perl foobar.pl \\\foobar
\\foobar

(But do notice that
C:\Temp>perl foobar.pl \\\foobar
\\\foobar

so make does strip one of the backslashes).

Great.  Now, you don't have to explain to me why make works that way if you
don't know right now, but at least can you tell me that it will stay that way?
I guess not, since it is not documented...

then how do I make sure that perl always gets \\foobar, with the current and
future versions of GNU make on Windows??

Mark