Re: start and stop a program by make

From: Martin Mensch, mm-uC-systems
Subject: Re: start and stop a program by make
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:04:01 +0200

Hi Duane,

thank you for your answer. Here is what I tried

> Get help on the start command by using the command: start /?

> Mind you, it's rather a contortion of make to start things and not finish them.
> (I'd be curious what you're up to).

Nothing special, I want to start OpenOCD, a GDB server for debugging and programing microcontrollers and then start insight and command it to flash the program.

>That said...

>This might work ...
>my_rule:
>    start "" program1.exe arg1 arg2
>    start "" program2.exe arg1 arg2

No, it produces:
usr/bin/sh: start: command not found

>If the above doesn't work you might try either this...
>my_rule:
>    start "" cmd /c program1.exe arg1 arg2
>    start "" cmd /c program2.exe arg1 arg2

Also
usr/bin/sh: start: command not found

>or this...
>my_rule:
>    cmd /c start "" program1.exe arg1 arg2
>    cmd /c start "" program2.exe arg1 arg2

This starts a new process cmd.exe but also does not return. Further program1 is not started, at least I can't see it in the windows task manager.

So, no success so far. But I have learned that this is not the usual way make is used.
Now I tried one more thing and this works (it is a bit of a workaround but anyway..)

my_rule:
    @rm -f start.bat
    @echo start program1.exe arg1 arg2 >> start.bat
    @echo start program2.exe arg1 arg2 >> start.bat
    start.bat

This writes the commands to a batch file start.bat and then executes this.

Thank you for your help

Martin